Friday, April 24, 2015

A-Z Blogging Challenge: Ugly by Robert Hoge

This is an extraordinary book by an extraordinary man. Robert Hoge was born with his forehead marred by an enormous tumour, distorted facial features and twisted, useless legs. His mother didn't even want to take him home but eventually did. Having made that decision, his parents were determined that he should have as normal life as possible and, despite multiple operations, did their best to give him just that.

In Ugly Robert Hoge tells the story of his life up to the birth of his first child. It's a fascinating and moving read. I've met Rob - he was one of the organisers of Clarion South when I was lucky enough to be a participant in 2007 - and I was deeply impressed at his organisational ability and how he refused to let anything beat him. He's also a gifted writer. I recommend Ugly highly.

Ugly was published by Hachette Australia in 2013 and is available from bookshops and as an ebook.

Robert Hoge's website is here and he's also on Facebook.

2 comments:

Sylvia Ney said...

Interesting. I'll have to check that out. New follower here. I'm stopping by from the "A to Z" challenge, and I look forward to visiting again!

Sylvia
www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com

Helen V. said...

Nice to hear from you, Sylvia. I looked in on your blog. Love the Seuss-ims.