Monday, July 16, 2007

Go the Eagles! Oh they went.

I curled up on the sofa with Jaz on Saturday afternoon and stayed awake until just after half time Since I meant to go and visit my mother after the match, not waking up again until well after 4:00pm was not a good thing. At least it spared me the misery of seeing the Eagles get their wings clipped, not to mention having their tail feathers pulled out. Not that I expected them to win (with nearly half the team out with injuries how could they?) but I didn't anticipate it would be so bad.
I'm very tired at the moment so it's not surprising I fell asleep but tonight I'm staying awake to watch Torchwood somehow. I was disappointed in the first episode but it's growing on me. Jack is convincingly enigmatic and I like Gwen, although why a no nonsense copper is among this rather flawed group I find hard to accept. At least in Doctor Who you know that the Doctor and his companion are the good guys and in the end they don't usually do something irretrievably foolish however many mistakes they make along the way. So far in Torchwood we have had three of five staff members who have between them put the Earth and everything on it at risk, not including Gwen who is still learning and entitled to the occasional error. I have to ask myself if these are the best people to be protecting the planet, self appointed or not. Couldn't Jack have recruited others who could be a little less unstable? On the other hand, of course, totally unflawed characters are extremely boring. We shall see how the series develops.

7 comments:

Satima Flavell said...

Not only did the Eagles get done but so did the Crows and the Socceroos:-( What a disastrous day!

Satima Flavell said...

PS
Congrats on finishing the book! I only wish I could be as industrious.

Helen V. said...

Thank you, Satima.

Carol Ryles said...

I read on Jonathan Strahan's blog (http://www.jonathanstrahan.com.au/wp/2007/07/14/update-4/) that Torchwood gets better towards the end. Must say I enjoyed the Shakespeare episode and thought this week's with the fairy/goblin thingies was pretty scary. Though I'm easily entertained when it comes to TV because I rarely watch it.

Carol Ryles said...

My son, who's an avid Lions supporter (he was born in Bris) went to Subi and sat in members seats dressed in full Lions regalia. His dad had to restrain him whenever the Lions got a goal. During the last quarter, someone (jokingly) threatened to throw his Lions hat in the bin!! Then they had to get the bus home, full of Eagles fans. Yikes!

Helen V. said...

Hi Carol. I thought this week's episode was the best so far too. Jack has started to develop and that he has a past that we are becoming aware of made him more interesting. Like you, I don't watch much television but that tends to make me more critical I think. I enjoyed the Doctor Who Shakespeare one too and Martha Jones rocks although I gather she isn't going to be around for the next season. The shouting Donna from the Christmas special is to take her place.

Carol Ryles said...

Hey Helen,

I just realised (after watching last night's Dr Who) that the Shakespeare one was Dr Who, not Torchwood! Those are the only two shows I watch and I still get confused!!!