Tuesday, August 24, 2021

When the World Goes to Pot I Look For Distractions

Here, in no particular order, are some I've found lately.


I love the bright splash of colour nasturtiums bring to the garden. These arrived uninvited about a year after we moved in here but they were so colourful I was happy to have them stay. Over the years they've colonised a number of shady spots and drape themselves over the garden walls. They sometimes get a little invasive but it's easy enough to pull out what I don't want - and the leaves and flowers make a tasty addition to a salad.

In just twenty minutes the birdbath, which is just outside my study window, has been visited by two ravens, a willy wagtail and two wattle birds. They've bathed so enthusiastically that I'll need to go out and refill it.

Over the last week the motorbike frogs have been having fierce vocal duels and occasionally resorting to physical violence, something I've never seen them do before. I suspect it's each wanting territorial and breeding rights. When Miss Five and Miss Nine visited over the weekend they were fascinated watching their antics as they splashed around in the frog pond.

The Spanish bluebells are in bud. Any time now the pots of them will be a mass of blue.

The coriander and spring onions are all coming up. I love fresh coriander leaves but the spring onions are for Pisces since I'm not a fan of raw onion.

I spent some time yesterday sorting my vegetable seeds and cleaning the seedling containers. The forecast for tomorrow is fine so I think it'll be a planting day. Yay!

Miss Five and I spent some time cleaning out the damaged fish pond last week. Now it only needs a new liner (bought today) for me to make it fish heaven - and it might take some of the pressure off the frog pond, too.

And last but by no means least the blueberries are a mass of flowers. Fingers crossed that this means a bumper crop.

What are your distractions? I'd love to know.



2 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It will be no surprise to you, Helen, that my distractions are the eternal variations of nature. It goes on without end.

Imagine Me said...

Yes, no surprises there, David, and I agree the variations are endless.