Friday, August 13, 2021

And Yet Another Cold Front

It's past now and it looks like we're going to have warmer and sunny days for a few days but as the front passed over there were ferocious winds, heavy rain and even some hail. It ripped the door of the garden shed loose at one point and it was sheer luck that I heard it happen and we were able to go out and secure it before we lost it altogether.

It did some damage in the garden, too. The snowflakes (the among the earliest of the bulbs to flower in the garden - only the common jonquils beat them coming out in June) which had only just opened are now battered to the ground and the bearded iris flowers have been shredded. On the other hand the pak choi and kale seedlings I planted in the vegetable garden a fortnight ago are looking very healthy as are the two kinds of parsley planted at the same time and the snow peas and sugar snap peas, which came up over a month or so ago and had been sitting looking sad ever since, have taken off after the sunny days. In a break in the rain  - the wind was still vicious - I scurried out to check them half expecting to find a wrecked tangle on the ground and was delighted to see they are climbing up the wire on the fence.

Along with the wind it's been chilly - very chilly  by our standards - to the point that we actually put the heater on during the day. This is something we rarely do preferring to layer up our clothing and keep warm by being active. I had a couple of days when I wasn't very well having overdone things of late. Long term chronic health issues mean I should know how to pace myself but every now and then I push myself too far and the consequence is I have to spend a day or two resting. In this case it's meant going to back to bed after I'd done the essential tasks where at least I was warm. Kitty likes these days I have to say and he curls up beside me purring like a tiny engine.


4 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Given the state of the weather the world over, I have so say that it has been relatively benign here. Too much heat, but other than that no great events causing the destruction we are seeing nightly on our television screens from every corner of the globe. Yet people are still denying climate change!

Imagine Me said...

It's difficult to understand how anyone can not see that climate change is happening around them. We have a bunch of such people in our federal government who are still in denial despite everything happening around them. It's terrifying.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

And we continue to elect them.

Imagine Me said...

Sadly, yes.