Sunday, May 30, 2021

Music!

 in particular the pipes and drums of Scotland. I've always loved these and a friend of mine has been sharing a lot of videos of various bands recently. These've ranged from massed pipes and drum bands at various Highland games and gatherings to performances by individual bands. Because I've been watching so many along with her I've been paying closer attention to how a band works - and it turns out (unsurprisingly) that there's a lot more to it than individuals blowing on bagpipes in unison or bashing away on a drum. It's really all quite technical as well as spectacular. The drummers in particular make me wish I'd learned to play the drums when I was younger. They are so dramatic especially in marching bands where their flourishes add to the spectacle. The whole experience has reminded me of something I'd all but forgotten in these COVID times - my travel bucket list, a major part of which includes visiting Scotland and Ireland.

Here for your delight - assuming you love pipe bands as much as I do  - are some of the massed pipes and drums I've been enjoying. This was the Beating Retreat display after the 2019 Dufftown Highland Games and is particularly spectacular with its rows of drum majors at the front and so many pipers and drummers. Keep an eye out for the tiniest drummer at the rear with a drum to match his or her size.

2 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Based on personal experience I can vouch for both Ireland and Scotland. You will enjoy them if you have a chance to visit.

Imagine Me said...

With luck the virus will eventually run its course, David, but whether the cost will still be inexpensive enough to make travel possible is another question I suspect.