Thursday, May 07, 2020

A Few Small Joys

Given our high risk status Pisces and I are still pretty much in isolation and the fact that we can't go out is irksome however much we see the need for staying put. That said there are still small pleasures to be had and here are some.

My sourdough starter is finally bubbling away nicely. I was a bit, well, to be honest, a lot slower than I had intended with this. I had trouble finding a suitable sized jar, one that had to be able to hold the starter but also to be a size that would fit in the fridge. I felt a bit like Goldilocks looking for something that was not too big and not too small but just right. It turned out to be quite a challenge since I couldn't go out and buy anything but a bonus of starting to sort out the linen cupboard has been finding things I'd forgotten about and among those were jars, many, many jars. As I worked my way through them I seemed to be getting nowhere and I was starting to get a little desperate. But then there it was and it was just right. See?



Then there was Miss Four's first online ballet class. Her mother sent us the video and the cuteness was close to overload as she so very seriously concentrated on doing the exercises.

We've just had a major storm front pass through - they usually come during the winter so it was unusual - and came out of it pretty much unscathed. Apparently the wind gusts reached 120 kmh at some points and left 55,000 homes without power so we were lucky to have only had our rubbish bin and a tree in a pot blown over out the front while the garden shed had its door pulled off its track, all of which was easily fixed.

The seeds I put in a week ago are coming up. So far there are two kinds of pak choi, choy sum, tatsoi and red onions poking their heads out. I moved the tray containing them onto the veranda during the storm and they stayed there which is more than I can say for my thongs - called flip-flops in other parts of the world I do believe - which I looked out to see blowing across the yard yesterday.

The seeds I ordered over a month ago arrived. Deliveries from the other states are very slow at the moment due to our border being closed plus once they enter the state they have to undergo a period of quarantine as we try to keep plant diseases out but they are here now. There were freebies included, too. Yay!

Miss Eight has been given a kids' Message account on her mother's Facebook page and we had loving message after loving message from her over the weekend.

So there you have a few of those things giving us pleasure - while I'm not sure that Pisces is as thrilled by the sourdough starter as I am he's certainly happy about the rest. I hope you, too, are finding pleasures where and when you can.

No comments: