Friday, May 02, 2014

Reflections on the A-Z Blog Challenge

This is the first time I've done anything like this and I have to say that, although it took planning and work, I enjoyed it. It's also the first time since I was at Clarion South that I've made the effort to write a daily post. Usually I post when something interests me for some reason and sometimes, when Real Life gets in the way as it has for much of this year, I get a little lazy. Perhaps surprisingly though, I found myself enjoying writing the daily post again. I don't know if I'll be quite that regular from now on - it's more likely to be 3-4 times a week - and the posts may well be a little shorter but I am feeling inspired again.

So what have I gained from the experience?

Well, I've been reminded that it isn't all that hard to post more often. This April has been a very difficult month for many reasons that have been time consuming and distressing but I still managed to post daily, even writing some posts in advance.

I found out a lot about using images under Creative Commons and other licences. It had always seemed too hard before but it turns out it's not. Who'd have thought that if someone wants to make something available for others to use they would make it simple? I know. Amazing isn't it.

An interesting fact - if you want a lot of hits put up a post entitled H.E.M.P. although I'm pretty sure most of those who visited it would have been very surprised to find it was about an Australian Senate  election and that H.E.M.P. is a political party. Still that's brought something else brought home to me - making the post title something that attracts attention gets hits. While I knew this already having it  reinforced is always a good thing.

Then there's the added bonus of reading a number of interesting blogs I doubt I'd have come across in the way.

Will I do it again? I think so because it has been a positive experience - and who knows, I might actually work out how get the logo uploaded next time. I have no idea why I couldn't work it out this time since I'm usually fine with such things but, hey, I've got eleven months to work on it. Right?

No comments: