Thursday, October 22, 2020

To Everything There Is A Season

I don't listen to the radio much but Pisces has it on all the time. He carries a small radio in his pocket so when he walks past I inevitably get a sound bite. Usually I don't pay much attention to whatever it is because I'm really not into talk back radio and the stations he listens to rarely have music I care about. The other day, though, there was a blast from the past that seemed incredibly appropriate to what's going on in these pandemic days. 

What I heard was Turn Turn Turn. This is a song written way back in the fifties by folk singer Pete Seeger who used (rearranging the order and slightly altering) the words of the first eight verses of the third chapter of the Book of Ecclesiastes in the King James version of the Bible. He added the words of the title - Turn Turn Turn - as a refrain which repeats throughout the song and as well as the words "I swear it's not too late." as the final line of the song to make a connection with the anti war feeling of the times.

It became hugely popular during the sixties when it was released by US group The Byrds reaching number one on the charts in both the US and UK although it had earlier been recorded by folk group The Limelighters and then by folk singer Judy Collins who was to release another version later in 1969. After The Byrds success covers were released by whole host of singers and it is still being included albums today.

I have no idea who that singer on Pisces' radio was but whoever it was it inspired me to go and look at various versions of this song and among them I found a video of Judy Collins in 1966 which I loved. I'd like to share it with you. Enjoy.



2 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Pete Seeger was one of the great American heroes of all time. It is too bad that he is not here today to assail Trump, along with Peter, Paul and Mary, Joan Baez, and other folk singers who symbolized the anti-war movement.

Helen V. said...

I couldn't agree more, David. They were entertainers but had a message as well - and weren't afraid to speak out.