Monday, March 03, 2014

Yum!

I don't usually blog about my health issues because… well, because I don't want to bore you, gentle readers. Suffice it to say I have a less than functional digestive tract due to surgery many years ago. This means my appetite and my weight fluctuate madly and recently I've not enjoyed my food at all and, as a result, although I'm usually an enthusiastic and creative cook - you have to be to get an interesting meal out of what I'm allowed to eat - I've not wanted to cook or eat.

Today was different though. We are blessed in having an exceptional produce store only a few minutes drive away. Everything is beautifully fresh and arranged in mouthwatering displays and since its prices are much the same as the supermarkets charge for inferior produce it's very popular. They also stock all sorts of interesting foodstuffs to cater for the large southern European population, the descendants of the market gardeners who originally settled here, as well as a vast array of other exotic foodstuffs. Sadly the market gardens are pretty much all gone now, with the rich, fertile land buried under houses.

So off we went this morning and I stocked up  - and got inspired. I give you today's lunch - hot potato, avocado and toasted pine nut salad (steamed cubes of potatoes tossed with cubed avocado and pine nuts - I tossed them in a dry pan over medium heat until they started to brown - dressed with a little lime juice and extra virgin olive oil), served with marinated feta from the produce store that melted in the mouth and a salad (mixed salad greens, sliced lebanese cucumber and cherry tomatoes dressed with a lime vinaigrette) followed by a white nectarine for dessert. (I didn't think about a photo until after we'd eaten but it was so delicious I'll be making it again and I'll try to take one then.)

No comments: