Saturday, August 05, 2023

Storny Weather

I've just been out fixing up the damage from last night's storm. This is pretty much the first time I've been able to  spend much time outside and do anything really since I managed to fracture my other wrist  two and a half months ago. This time I did a lot of damage to the internal structure of the wrist and the fracture itself wasn't a clean one. I still have to do regular exercises to try to get back full function. It's not too bad and I am making progress but it is still painful.

But enough the whinging. I could get out there and actually do something albeit mostly still one handed. Given there were houses with their roofs blown off we were lucky as far as the wind damage is concerned. The front driveway gates are mostly much destroyed which considering they were already in pretty bad shape and we intend to get them replaced in a few weeks is fine. 

Apart from that we had some large pots blown over - quite a few actually. My little lime tree which was loaded with fruit - and very pretty they looked, too - is now bare after being blown offf the wall it usually sits on. I've shared the fruit with my neighbours but I'll miss being able to go out and pick a lime whenever I wanted. The  curry leaf tree,which is in a large ceramic pot, was also blown over. While the tree is fine the pot I'm afraid has suffered a fatal injury. Because it's a very large pot and I will have to source another the pot is currently glued together. Not a permanent fix but it should give me some time.

The pineapples also suffered . These pots are in what is usually a safe place at the side of the house. Not this time. When we went to see if there was any damage from overflowing gutters - the rain was exceptionally heavy and Pisces had already found one spot  with a  blockage - we found more than half the pineapple pots on the ground. That meant a rather prickly rescue. Pineapples have long spiky leaves and these were large second year plants which should fruit this year, and they were heavy. Once they were all back in place I could see that the very large birds nest fern which belonged to my mother and must be at least eighty years old had also fallen over. It stands in a corner of the house and it is huge so it took both Pisces and me to manhandle it back into position. 

So everything in the garden is now back as it should be  - or at least in order - and I'm not complaining too much as we need rain. It's just the wind I could do without.





No comments: