Tuesday, August 04, 2020

In the garden.


First poppy of the season and it's in surprisingly good condition after yesterday's heavy rain which it must have just missed.


The winter flowers have been pretty sparse this year apart from the calendulas like these that are part of a border in the vegetable garden

 
and alyssum here bordering the poppy bed.



I told Miss Four that alyssum is also called Sweet Alice and she gave me a sideways look of disbelief. Just wait until the Johnny Jump Ups jump up.  Maybe I'd better stick to calling them heartsease.

2 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I have never heard alyssum called anything but alyssum, but I suspect there are numerous local names for it. That's why a scientific name is such a good thing to know.

Helen V. said...

I agree that scientific names are very useful, David, but some of the old fashioned ones like Sweet Alice are charming and I like using them so they don't get forgotten.