Friday, December 28, 2007

Summer Days

Maybe it's because I was born in the middle of a heatwave but I'm less worried by heat (as long as it's not humid) than many others but even I headed for relief inside the air conditioned house on Boxing Day. Let's face it, 44.2 degrees Celsius (111.5 degrees F) is pretty warm. It made yesterday's 33.9 degrees C ( 93 degrees F) seem positively cool.
Pisces's family gathers at his sister's beach house at Palm Beach on Boxing Day. It's only a couple of minutes walk away from the beach but this year the heat was so intense that swims were few and very short. Poor Virgo spent some time out in the garden under the trees with her cousins and still got burned. She, who loves the beach, was cursed with the only pale porcelain complexion in the family, inherited from her great grandfather. She looks at me who has to work at not getting tanned and feels very hard done by.

2 comments:

Satima Flavell said...

Oh, I do sympathise with poor Virgo! I am also one who doesn't tan. Ten minutes in the sun is enough to burn me: an hour without sunscreen and I will blister and peel.

But I love hot, dry weather. At least, I love it up to abut 34 degrees: after that I stay indoors if at all possible. Tday we have what I call Ash Wednesday weather - 39 degrees with a hot wind blowing quite strongly. I recall only too well when I lived here before and the fires came to within five miles of our farm. We could feel the heat and smell the smoke even at that distance. Luckily, for us, the wind turned - but it took the fire to another village and killed several people. Not again, please...

Helen V. said...

Yes, a wild bushfire has to be one of the most terrifying things on Earth.