Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Climate Emergency




I don't belong to Extinction Rebellion but I do share their fears for the planet. I have grandchildren and I want them to be able to live happy, healthy and productive lives on a world that provides for them and every other creature here. We cannot keep acting as if everything is going to be fine as climate change ramps up. Last week a temperature of 38° C (100.4 °F) was reported in the Siberian town of Verkhoyansk which is situated within the Arctic Circle. If this is confirmed - it still has to be checked although there seems no reason to doubt it - the planet and every living thing on it is in grave danger.
This is quite frankly terrifying and is an example of why I asked a family member who is involved with Extinction Rebellion for this poster. It's on my bins so on rubbish collection days it is visible to anyone coming along my street. We've all been understandably somewhat distracted by the COVID-19 pandemic but we cannot afford to ignore the other equally urgent emergency we face in climate change. It's not going away unless we act now.


No comments: