Thursday, January 28, 2021

Baby Pineapples

It's taken a while to find the ideal place for pineapples to grow successfully in my garden but with almost all in flower for the second year in succession I may have it right now. Here are some of them.



The flowers are about the size of my fist but the fruit will soon start to form - and when they're ready to pick I'll save and plant the tops and in a year or so there will be another crop. I do love plants that keep giving.

Here's a close up of a flower.












2 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

To a northerner who shovelled about 12cm of snow out of my driveway two days ago, it doesn't sound much more tropical than growing pineapples in the backyard!

Imagine Me said...

Perth isn't really the ideal climate for growing pineapples either, David. It's a more Mediterranean climate than tropical so too hot and dry which is why it took a while to find a suitably protected area where they were comfortable. I don't envy you the snow, though.