Saturday, November 07, 2020

Cactus Flowers

 Look what I found when I went out to water the potted cactus this morning. Cactus flowers!









Aren't they lovely? These are some of the smaller ones about the size of my spread out hand but there were a couple of others that I couldn't reach to photograph. One is a huge - about half as big again as these - and a glorious creamy white and the other - also huge - is a rich, deep cerise in the centre shading to purplish at the edges. 

I've been growing these for many years and most of the time they are fairly messy, nondescript and frankly look very uninteresting but then they produce these stunning blooms. Unlike the cacti that only open for a short time at night these open during the day and stay open for a day or so. It's a lovely gift for a gardener.

2 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I can only imagine how overjoyed you must have been. Years ago I used to have several cacti as house plants, and always enjoyed them. Maybe it's time to get a couple again. They were certainly easy to take care of.

Helen V. said...

They are a delight, David, and I'm lucky enough to be where they can live happily outdoors as long as they have dappled shade.