Friday, September 04, 2020

My Ginger Harvest and Other Delights


This year's ginger crop.


It wasn't quite as prolific as last year's unfortunately but it's still a success story because many years ago I was told that it was impossible to grow ginger here. Naturally I took that as a challenge and have been growing it ever since. This lot was from one 35 cm pot and last year I got probably half as much again. I use a lot of root ginger so when I replanted this time I added another similar size pot. Now I just have to work out how to store my harvest. I'm thinking I'll try freezing some already grated in ready to cook portions and see how that turns out.

It's not only the ginger that's done less well this winter either. Because we've had a very low rainfall despite the damaging storms earlier - and that was after a hotter and dryer summer than usual - it's affected pretty much everything in the garden. I've been able to grow enough greens to feed us but even staples like pak choy haven't done as well as I'd expect so I'm very grateful for chard, kale, lettuce and, of course, the beetroot.

It's not only the vegetables either. Many of the winter bulbs simply didn't flower - lots of healthy looking leaves but nary a bud among them. This has meant a much less colourful garden than usual this winter.


That said things are finally looking up in the flower garden. The Flanders poppies are flowering as are the Spanish bluebells, calendulas and nasturtiums. Many of these are in a large bed outside the family room where we have a wall of glass so I see them every time I look out which is a real joy. As well I noticed some heartsease flowers this morning, the red and green kangaroo paws are in bud and, of course, the alyssum has never stopped flowering. Oh, and the sweet peas are finally starting to climb up their support so with luck they'll soon be in flower, too. It makes up to some degree for the missed daffodils, tulips and jonquils.

2 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I am quite sure you are the first person I have met who grows her own ginger - and good for you for doing it. We use it quite frequently in Asian dishes we cook, but a 10cm piece bought at the store seems to last a long time. We actually freeze it and grate it frozen into the wok as we are cooking.

Helen V. said...

I love a gardening challenge, David, and finding the right place for it took some experimentation but it has certainly been worth doing. I haven't tried freezing and grating it. That sounds like a very good idea.